How Can I spot Gum Disease?
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please visit Dechter & Moy Dentistry as soon as possible.
- Gums That Bleed Easily
- Red, Swollen, or Tender Gums
- Gums That Have Pulled Away From Your Teeth
- Persistent Bad Breath or Bad Taste
- Permanent Teeth That Are Loose or Separating
- Any Change In The Way Your Teeth Fit Together When You Bite
- Any Change In The Fit of Partial Dentures
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease
· Practice Good Oral Hygiene
- Although this may seem obvious, good oral care is imperative for healthy gums. Brushing your teeth is not enough, especially when it comes to gum disease. You should add flossing to your routine to reduce the risk of plaque building up and damaging your gums. Using al mouthwash low in alcohol can also be very beneficial to your oral health.
· Increase Your Vitamin C Intake
- Vitamin C deficiencies have been found to be one of the leading causes of gum disease. Adding more vitamin C in your diet will not only help prevent gum disease from developing, but it can also treat and, in some cases, cure gum disease. Vitamin C has healing properties that can stop your gums from swelling, receding, bleeding, and can also stabilize loosened teeth.
· Eat a Healthy Diet
- Nothing helps more in preventing gum disease than maintaining a healthy diet. Be sure to avoid sugary foods and drinks as they lead to tooth decay and gum damage. Eating a balanced and nutritious diet filled with vitamins and minerals boosts your immunity and helps ward off many diseases, including gum disease.
· Stay Hydrated
- Staying hydrated is necessary in preventing gum disease, as well as promoting overall health. Drinking plenty of water produces more saliva which helps fight off bacteria that can cause your gums to become infected.
· Stop Smoking
- Smoking cigarettes and using tobacco products has a reputation to cause a number of health issues, especially gum disease. Tobacco products are very harmful to your gum tissues and should be avoided by everyone.
· See Your Dentist Regularly
- Seeing your Dechter & Moy Dentistry regularly is extremely important. Getting your teeth professionally cleaned is a great preventative measure to take in regards to gum disease. Also, it’s important to visit Dechter & Moy Dentistry regularly so they can check for any warning signs of gum disease and other dental issues.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
If you would like to explore your cosmetic dentistry options, visit our team at Dechter & Moy Dentistry in Silver Spring, MD. Our experience and commitment to enhancing patient smiles make us the ideal partners in your cosmetic dentistry journey. To schedule an appointment, call (301) 508-9755 or request an appointment online.