The Silver Spring dental office of Dr. Alan Dechter and Dr. Matthew Moy offers local families the convenience of comprehensive dental care and services for children and adults under one roof. Family dentistry enables all members of your family to visit one location, usually on the same day, for preventive care appointments.
We can work with you to coordinate appointment times in succession so that everyone can visit on the same day! Our family dental office also has evening and Saturday dental appointments to accommodate busy work-week schedules. Your time and convenience are very important to us. Reach out to our friendly staff to setup dentist appointments that work for your busy schedule. We strive to provide quality dental services in a timely manner so that you can get back to your life.
Benefits of Early Dental Visits
Visit our family dentistry to enjoy all the benefits that our practice has to offer. We recommend that parents and caregivers bring children in for their first dental appointment soon after the primary teeth begin erupting, or by the age of one year. Early visits with our family dentist in Silver Spring serve several important purposes for the long-term oral health of your child, such as the following:
- Reduces anxiety at the dentist: Starting with dental care as a young child often minimizes anxious feelings and helps to foster a healthy doctor-patient relationship along the way. This helps curb and avoid developing dental anxiety and fear of the dentist in young patients.
- Monitoring oral development: Early visits provide us the opportunity to monitor your child’s oral development and alert you to any concerns that could impact their speech, health, or appearance of their smile.
- Teaching good oral habits: When your child visits us, we offer age-appropriate oral hygiene tips and demonstrate proper teeth brushing techniques. We want our pediatric patients to learn how to care for their smiles. Additionally, we want them to learn about the benefits of good oral health.
Age-Specific Dental Care
The goal of our preventive dental care is to help maintain your oral health using personalized care. Our goal is to provide each patient with the services they need to address their concerns and risk factors. Dr. Dechter and Dr. Moy believe in the value of relationship dentistry.
Dental Care in your Early Years
We spend time with each of our younger patients to get to know them and understand their oral health. However, children aren’t the only ones that have specialized oral health needs. Certain ages are more likely to experience certain oral health problems. In the late teens and early twenties, wisdom teeth start to erupt. Many of our mouths don’t have space for these to come in, so we seek wisdom teeth removal. Impacted wisdom teeth can cause pain and shift your teeth, causing crowding. To learn more about our wisdom teeth removal services, see Tooth extraction.
At this age, many people want to focus on getting a straighter smile as well. Clear aligners are the choice for many in this age group. It’s subtle, so many people aren’t able to tell that you are currently straightening your teeth using aligners. To learn about our ClearCorrect® aligner services, see Clear aligners.
Dental Care in your Later Years
As we age, our lifestyle habits and extra years start to take their toll. Our tooth enamel thins, showing more of the yellow dentin inside. If you’re a regular smoker or coffee drinker, years of staining are going to permanently discolor your teeth as well. Fortunately, our dentists can provide professional teeth whitening to take years off of your smile. Our professional teeth whitening services can brighten your teeth by many shades in a single treatment. To learn about getting teeth whitening treatments at our dental office, see Teeth whitening.
If you have more severely stained teeth that do not respond to teeth whitening, you may have another dental issue. Sometimes certain medications or a genetic issue can cause teeth to stain. Our dentist can not whiten deep and dark stains that are past the surface level of you teeth using whitening treatments. If the deep stain is not causing dental health issues, we can hide it using a cosmetic treatment like porcelain veneers. Our porcelain veneers can cover imperfections. To learn more about our porcelain veneers, see Porcelain veneers.
Are you experiencing tooth loss? Seniors are more likely than other age groups to suffer from tooth loss. However, everyone’s situation is different and tooth loss can occur in any age group. Fortunately, we offer a variety of tooth replacement options. We will work with you to develop a dental plan that replaces your missing and lost teeth. Common treatments we use to replace missing and lost teeth include the following:
Children’s Dental Services in Silver Spring
We offer complete dental care for the needs of a growing smile in a friendly environment. Our dental services for children will help your child maintain a healthy smile. Additionally, we will address any problems or diseases along the way.
- Dental exams and cleanings: We look for the early signs of tooth cavities using a visual exam and a handheld scanner. We can detect the smallest changes in tissues and tooth structure to quickly address issues before they become larger ones.
- Dental sealants: Sealants can prevent cavities that are common in teeth with many cusps that can easily trap food particles. Our dentist places sealants on the permanent molars.
- Sports mouthguards: We offer custom sports mouthguards for athletic and active patients of all ages. A custom sports mouthguard offers superior comfort and protection for the teeth and gums.
- Invisible aligners: Clear aligners can straighten teeth for teens and adults without the hassles of metal braces. We recommend using clear aligners to correct mild to moderate orthodontic issues.
We also offer cosmetic dentistry procedures and restorative dental treatments near you for all ages. Maintaining the health of your smile is our first priority.
Family Dentistry FAQs
How do I choose a family dentist?
Choosing a family dentist can be a big decision. There are some things to look out for that will make your choice of a family dentist easier. When choosing a family dentist it is important to be sure that they are qualified to treat children and adults. It is also a good idea to look at reviews online and see what patients say about them. Lastly, you should visit the dentist’s office to make sure that you and your family feel comfortable there.
When should my child first visit the dentist?
The ADA recommends that you schedule your child’s first dental visit before their first birthday, or once their first tooth starts to erupt. Once your child’s teeth start to come in it is important to bring them to the dentist to be sure everything is coming in properly.
Can family dentists do fillings?
Family dentists do fill cavities. They typically specialize in working with general dentistry procedures such as fillings, cleanings, and removing plaque and tooth decay. If you need dental work done that your family dentist does not work with, they will typically recommend you to a specialist.